2016 is quickly coming to its end. By many it shall not be forgotten soon. Lots of people in 2016 lost their beloved ones and got confronted with a lot of bloodshed. Though there is no World War going on 2016 had acts of war and terror spreading all over the globe.
Looking back at 2016 it is framed with big bold black lines. It has been one the darkest years since several decennial. Many in this tiny country would never have thought they could be hit so hard. Lots of Belgians do not remember the terror of the CCC or Communist Combatant Cells. That Belgian terrorist organization committed to a Communist ideology managed to spread fear from 1984 up to 1985, though they killed not as many as at the same time the Brabant killers, also known as the Nivelles Gang (from 1982-1985) could kill 28 people and got many injured (40 seriously).
In the 1980ies the private militia of several extreme right-wing organizations (like Westland New Post (WNP)] and extreme left-wing organizations [like the Baader-Meinhof Group or Baader-Meinhof Gang and Rote Armee Fraktion] where very active in Belgium and Germany, shedding terror and blood as well.
Lots of people especially North Americans have become so afraid of Muslims and think behind each Muslim is a terrorist. They do forget there are much more non-religious terrorist acts done the last 100 years than religiously motivated killings. Americans may not forget that there have been 2,608 total attacks and 226 fatal attacks in the United States between 1970 and 2011.
Galleanist anarchists made the United States shiver in the 1920ies (see the 1919 United States anarchist bombings and the Wall Street bombing) and the radical leftist group Weatherman on March 1, 1971 exploded a bomb in the United States Capitol to protest the U.S. invasion of Laos. The Armed Resistance Unit, a militant leftist group, bombing the United States Capitol in response to the U.S. invasion of Grenada on November 7, 1983 many do not recall either. Further political motivated terrorist attacks where a.o. in 1968 New York’s Columbia University Students for a Democratic Society and in 1970 the Student Afro-American Society, Stanford University riots. The 1984 Rajneeshee bioterror attack may go in history as the first incident of bioterrorism in the United States. Also the Oklahoma City bombing had nothing to do with religion, but having a citizen (Timothy McVeigh) taking revenge on the American State.
The States always knew race motivated terrorism as well (remember the 1921 Tulsa race riot, the 1951 hate-related terrorist attacks, dynamiting of synagogues, and a Jewish School in Miami and explosives found outside of Catholic Churches in Miami, the 1958 Bombing of the Hebrew Benevolent Congregation Temple of Atlanta, Georgia, the 1970-71 Jewish Defense League bomb explosion outside of Aeroflot’s New York City office and the bombing of Soviet cultural offices in Washington, a White Nationalist group called The Order killing the Jewish lawyer-talk show host Alan Berg, the 1994 Brooklyn Bridge Shooting, the 2009 Fort Hood shooting), the 2012 Wisconsin Sikh temple shooting)
America always has know it fanatics, like for example the anti-abortionists and the Army of God which committed acts of kidnapping, attempted murder, and murder in the 1990ies.
In America as well in Europe the Palestinian terrorist organization Black September Organization (BSO) also took care that the press had much to write about. They were responsible for the kidnapping and murder of eleven Israeli athletes and officials, and the fatal shooting of a West German policeman, during the 1972 Summer Olympics in Munich, their most publicized event.
After the World Trade Center bombing in 1993 we can find Al Qaeda having come to the West to frighten it and to give it a signal to leave the Muslim community on its own and having the Western states not intervening with their politics and way of life. The 1997 Empire State Building shooting its death toll of 1 and 7 wounded was nothing compared to the September 11 attacks. The unbelievable horror that came into the world killed 2,996 people, injured over 6,000 others, and caused at least $10 billion in property and infrastructure damage and $3 trillion in total costs in a few but horrible long minutes.
That even seemed to have shocked the world so hard that there have been less terrorist acts notated in the world from then onwards, the Capitol Hill massacre ‘only’ killing 6 and wounding 2 and a home-made bomb damaging in 2008 an Armed Forces Recruiting Office in Times Square only bringing damage to the building.
With the Curtis Culwell Center attack in May 2015 and the mass shooting that took place at Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church in downtown Charleston the United States stepped again in the pattern of what was coming over Europe also, a new flood of terrorism. Since early 2014 an increased Islamic terrorist activity in Europe took place and a few Belgian cities became the hiding and foster place for European Islamic radicalism and recruiting of Islamic fighters.
One can say it started in 2013 Europe (in particular Belgium, France, Holland and England) providing fighters for Islamist rebels in the Syrian Civil War, and having the first incident of a European jihadist committing an act of terrorism after returning from Syria, namely at the Jewish Museum in Brussels, leaving four people dead. In December France got its portion in Joué-lès-Tours, Dijon and Nantes. During 2015 terrorist attacks occurred across the Île-de-France region, particularly in Paris and Nice received its first attack.
In Europe, the first of January 2016 saw the first terrorist attack of the year on a mosque, a 29-year-old Frenchman of Tunisian descent ramming over a civilian and a guard in an entrance of a mosque in Valence, Drôme, reportedly while chanting Allahu Akbar (Allah is the greatest), six days later also an asylum seeker shouting the same outside a police station in Goutte d’Or, near Montmartre. From then onwards the ball went rolling and it seemed one attack came after the other, France nearly going on its knees.
The 2016 attacks where not only the result of adults, but minors got in to the battle. 12 to 15 year old kids went fighting in the name of Allah in Syria but also in Europe, mainly bringing terrorist acts in France, Germany and Belgium.
At the airport we knew something serious had to happen. The morning I originally was going to be at Zaventem Brussels airport I was called by my son’s girlfriend asking if I had left already. Luckily I was still at home and rushed to the television to see on the morning of Tuesday, 22 March 2016, three coordinated nail bombings, two at Brussels Airport in Zaventem, and one at Maalbeek metro station in Brussels, making me to know not having to go there for that day. In these attacks, 35 people and three suicide bombers were killed, and 340 people were injured.
In April and May Essen and Munich where victimised, before France in the Summer got knife attacks in n Saint-Julien-du-Puy (Tarn) and Magnanville. On the National holiday of France 86 people got killed and 434 injured in the sunny sea-resort Nice attack, four days before a 17-year-old Pakistani asylum seeker in Würzburg attacked passengers on a train with an axe and a knife, injuring 5 people of one died later.
Bringing shame and causing damage to the actual asylum seekers again a Syrian asylum seeker armed with a döner knife attacked others in Reutlingen. On the same day, July 24, a 27-year-old Syrian refugee detonated a bomb at a wine bar in Ansbach, killing only himself, but wounding 15 civilians.
Even in prison people did not seem to be safe; a prisoner wounding two prison officers in Taranto. He shouted “Allah Akbar” and “I’m Isis”.
At the closing hours of 2016 #2 Low but also highlights
2016 review Health and environment
2016 review Human rights
2016 review Obituary
2016 review Culture
- A world with or without religion
- A world in denial
- 2015 the year of ISIS
- The Meaning of Paris
- A Secular Mindset
- Remain lovingly = No path for softies
- Tears for Belgium
- A darker and stranger place
- Il terrorismo è l’urlo di un bambino al buio
- Muslim leaders call for all Islamic teachers to be registered
- Where were you when the world stopped turning?
- Looking at an American nightmare
- Does Banning Face Veils Help Us Fight Terrorism?
- Man’s own fault and the choice to flee from fear
- The Brilliant Foresight of Huntington
- Islamic State arrests reveal jihadi threat near seat of U.S. government
- Is There an ISIS Terror Attack Threat for New Year’s Eve 2016?
- “Friends Do Not Take Friends To The United Nations Security Council”The Holy
- US Tops Global Arms Market in 2015
- How Goes The “War On Terror”?
- ISIS setback: Airstrike takes out Mosul’s last functioning bridge
- Berlin truck’s automatic braking system ‘may have saved lives’
- Germany: Tunisian picked up in Berlin attack probe freed
- Obama still planning to empty Guantanamo of known terrorists before he leaves office
- Boeing/Airbus Deals Will Boost Iran’s Support of Terrorism
- Crimes in Aleppo: Iran must be ousted from Syria
- It is official: Islamic State recruit from Maharashtra Aman Tandel is dead
- Rohingya Muslims out for blood and India is on the hit list
- Causes and Effects of Terrorism Essay
- Garbage trucks filled with sand to block possible Times Square truck attacks
- Tech Giants Team to Battle Terrorism Online
- ISIS Terror Attacks 2016 in Photos: 17 Countries Attacked & 1,422+ Killed by Islamic State This Year
- Greater Kashmir: Google will not censor ‘Pied Piper of Jihad’
- Watch: New ISIS Video Shows Militant Raids on Iraqi Soldiers & Corpse Desecration
- One christian has been killed every 6 minutes according to a study in 2016.
- The terrorist in the mirror
- 2016 – Eff You
- To המוסד the Institute: You have 5 months to stop upcoming terrorism on 50th anniversary of the 6 day war
- Trump wants to incite terrorism
- Dubai to be official transit route for reformed militants
- Is Islamic outfit Sathya Sarani involved in ‘forced conversions’?
- Masarat Alam: J&K separatist who has ‘anti-India written in his blood’
- Benlolo: Here’s what John Kerry should have said about Israel
- A Look Back at 2016, and the True Legacy of Barack Hussein Obama
- Open Borders: A failed Policy
- 2016 in Review: Syrian Christians in the Crossfire
- A parting thought for this year
- Trump team seeks names of officials working to counter “violent extremism”
- Syria: Chemical Bomb Factories Found In East Aleppo
- Daesh bomb attacks in Baghdad’s al-Sinak market kill at least 28
- New Years Eve: Our Hopes and Our Will to Try
- Did the Bombing of Cairo’s Copts Also Hold a Message for Muslims?
- Making an enemies list. Checking it twice.
- Turkish TV says man who killed Russian ambassador was among police guard
- Deutsche Welle: Syrian Archive catalogues war atrocities online
- Abdellatif Laâbi: attesting against barbarism.
- John Kerry Anti-Israel Speech Fallout Continues [Video]
- France Raises ‘Terror Tax’ to Support Victims of Attacks
- Good Riddance 2016
- Photos: ISIS Clashes With Kurdish PKK Near ‘Terrorist Capital’ Raqqa, Syria
- Photos: ISIS Shows Off Seized Iraqi Army Vehicles After Battle in South Mosul
- Danny Dannon Complete Smackdown of the Anti-Israel UN Resolution
- Revisiting July 2016
- SAA Came close to the Shurifah Hiltop
- Berlin truck’s automatic braking system ‘may have saved lives’
- Millitants shelled power plant in Hama
- EU to boost border checks on cash, gold to tackle terrorism financing
- 14 Year Old With Sack Full of Bombs Seized in Belgium
- “…Russia-brokered Syrian ceasefire has chance of succeeding
- Merkel: ‘We are stronger than terrorism’
- Nieuwjaarsbrief aan mijn zoon: waarom ik zo verdrietig was op 22 maart