The rich are getting richer <> the poor are… also getting richer. video presented by Daniel Hannan.
- Capitalism led to unprecedented enrichment central fact of Western life.
- Poor getting richer, infant mortality declines, life gets extended + literacy on the rise.
- Hannan makes a claim that puts a burden on him to poof that the declines in poverty happen in those countries that adopt free trade policies.
- Capitalism =/= about greed > = about incentivizing people to match their skills to their goals + create earned success.
- Vietnam has embraced free trade, its economy has pulled ahead of protectionist Laos.
- Myth: Capitalism = plundering developing countries.
- Reality: Countries that embrace capitalism see dramatic economic improvement = unproven.
- Hannan mixes terms that are unrelated > swaps free market for capitalism
- Hannan biggest claim > that as the rich get richer, the poor get richer too > not supported by most important source he uses to proof this statement: the World Bank. >> In the 2018 report of the World Bank, > chapter Shared Prosperity: Mixed Progress. Shared prosperity examines if the bottom 40 percent share in prosperity. In the chapter it is mentioned that “To conclude, although most countries have made progress in shared prosperity, the results are mixed.” On page 51 a table is given for 91 countries that shows how the bottom 40 percent of the populace does as compared to the whole populace.
Central statements made by Hannan
His twelve claims evaluated
Overall commentary on the sources Hannan uses
Conclusions about the sources
The examination, including sources
The rich are getting richer, and the poor are… also getting richer. What’s driving this wealth creation process? In this video, Daniel Hannan explains why it is capitalism — and capitalism alone — that has led to the unprecedented enrichment that is the central fact of Western life.
On the Eight of October 2018, PragerU published one of their 5-minute videos. The video was called As the Rich Get Richer, the Poor Get Richerand was presented by Daniel Hannan.
Attached is a document in which I go through the list of facts & sources and examine each of them and see if they support his claims. In this post I give a summary my findings.
|Central statements made by Hannan|
View original post 1,587 more words